Negotiation is one of the two ways to acquire a province sector.
If one chooses not to battle, they can acquire province sectors by negotiating. The player would need one to four different types of goods to "buy" the sector. Generally, most of these demands consist of goods from the previous age or the current age, but in some cases can require goods from as far back as four ages.
In many ages, certain quests (ie. Meet Lothair III) have multiple versions depending on whether the player negotiates or battles. Thus, the player's choice can affect the story campaign.
Taking the 'peaceful' route through the continent map produces a few small differences in the story campaign. Known differences include:
- Colonial Age: minor difference in quests when dealing with Sophie Antoinette
- Industrial Age:
- some quests depend on how the player deals with the natives
- four different sets of story quests depending on how the player handles the civil war. Diamonds-wise negotiating with both sides is the most rewarding option
- Contemporary Era: how the player deals with Sheik Al-Rais changes the text of quite a few quests. Negotiating for all of his provinces also unlocks a quest that gives some extra diamonds
- Future Age: never attacking certain leaders gives a few units as quest rewards
- Arctic Future: negotiating with the other leaders results in different quest text and some small differences in quests
- Oceanic Future: negotiating with the other leaders results in different quest text and some small differences in quests